Saturday, August 28, 2021

I never asked

All my life, I wanted to be a part of some crazy, big, amazing, world changing company. Instead, I got some steady jobs for things I thought my skills would do. Marketing isn’t a bad thing. I love my work, I love my people. But marketing for an accounting firm was never a part of my life dream. I’ve been standing on the sidelines of Silicon Valley, looking in and drooling and hyperventilating and yearning. But I realized something huge this morning.

I never asked if I could play.

I assumed that since my schooling was “wrong” and my starting career steps were “wrong” and boring and unsexy and all that, that it had already disqualified me from even asking to play the game. So I never asked. How sad is that.

Well, I think I’m going to start asking. 

Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/halfrain/ 

You know, kids on a playground do something socially impossible. They get on a playground, play around for a bit, and put themselves out there by kind of just doing their own thing. Slide, swing, merry-go-round. And if another kid responds positively – or is just even in the vicinity – they engage. And if that goes well, and they talk and connect, then they ask something amazing ballsy. “Do you want to be my friend?” And there is a gods-honest answer on the other end of that question. Yes, or no, it’s honest, and it is what it is. The asker gets their answer. And if the answer is yes, then big smiles emerge and they start running or talking more or playing harder. If the answer is no, then the asker is sad. But also… it’s kind of a known possible outcome.

I want to be more like that kid on the playground. I want to be bolder in my asking about connecting and building with other people. I want to be prepared for both a no as well as a yes. What if the answer is yes? What if they DO want me to play with them, be a part of their playtime at the playground? Wouldn’t that be wonderful.

But I have to ask. And I'm going to start asking NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment